One of the biggest questions or concerns that I get as a makeup artist & esthetician is the concern of oily skin and how to minimize or control the oil. With summer at it’s best right now, this has become even more prevalent. As the heat and humidity increase, our skin sweats more and the oil secretion increases….thus ULTRA SHINE! The last thing you want to hear is how much of a blessing this is for you…but it is! This oil (or curse as you may see it) is a lubricator of the skin (and hair), protecting from dehydration and aging skin. So the biggest thing you should know is you should NOT strip the skin of it’s natural oils as this sebum is a protectant from bacteria and maintains the pH.
The issue arises when the excess oils begin to block pores, causing blackheads and acne breakouts. However, the worse thing you can do is cleanse with alcohol based products, strong soaps, or washing too often. Doing this strips the skin of the oils and encourages your oil glands to produce what it feels is missing and thus making more oil and making skin worse.
Some products that are great for eliminating shine and managing the oil production (and are great for applying under makeup) are:
- DDF Blemish Foaming Cleanser – gently removes excess oil without stripping skin of oils and leaving skin tight. *Note: does contain Salicylic Acid – beware if allergic to aspirin.
- Milk of Magnesia – can be used either as a mask prior to going to bed or a very thin layer (in the oily areas) under the foundation to absorb oil
- Embryolisse Hydra Mat – moisturizes while absorbing excessive sebum, while reducing shine
- Purely Cosmetics Oil Absorption Powder – great for use under makeup or as a light finish to diminish shine and oil
- Nurturing Force Oil Blotting Papers – 100% natural fiber blotting papers great for maintaining makeup application.