Check out @ElevateArtists newest class w/ Daven Mayeda! “On Set Hairstyling for Makeup Artists” on January 15th & 16th! You don’t miss this. AND he just came off tour with Mariah, so i’m sure he’s full of even more tips than when I saw him last! Catch the special: http://elevateartists.com/index.php/workshops/hairstylingformakeupartists/
Do you own a salon in NY/LA/Chicago/Dall December 15, 2010
Do you own a salon in NY/LA/Chicago/Dallas? Are you ready to step it up to the next level? Tabitha Coffey is teaming up with BTC for Tabatha’s Salon Takeover. Get more details: http://behindthechair.com/files/tabatha/2010/12dec/splash.html
Still shopping. So I had to do one more! December 14, 2010
Still shopping. So I had to do one more! https://icfaces.wordpress.com/ This one’s for your guys.
I cannot believe how addicted I’ve gotten to posting my holiday finds and gift ideas. Well, actually I can because as most people who play a part in my life know – I am a shopaholic! So, now that I’ve got that out…now that I’ve introduced myself and admitted to my addiction, now we can begin my therapy….by me sharing:
I hope you find these gifts and gadgets just as cool and exciting as I did. If you thought my other post leaned more towards the female species, well I think this one would be enjoyed by the fellas (dap please). So if you haven’t already gotten your gift for the man in your life (brother, husband, father, cousin….) please continue on….
- As an artist who works with other artists and those who absolutely adore shoes (male and female), I thought this was a pretty kool idea. I would like to believe here in DC we have the most fashionable sneaker-wearers around, but some of you may prove me wrong. Rep your city and let me know who’s sneaker game is out of this world! In the meantime, check this out for that cool kid who loves being unique. I present to you the sneaker customization kit! When they pimp their sneaks, they may even find a new business to make some extra money!
- Everyone has a techy in their circle. Those who just cannot give up the computer or the iPod/Pad for more than a day….for more than a half-a-day for that matter. For those, I give you the 5-finger touch glove. Great for this weather we’ve been having. These gloves have tips on each finger allowing you to still conduct electricity from your fingers to the screen. So now, you can send them in the cold with their fancy gloves to stay warm with their fancy iPod phone/touch/nano or whatever keeps them so occupied and distracted from hearing what you have to say 😉 With a gift like this at $24, they’ll love you for it and won’t even know you’re being sarcastic when you tell them to stay out! (LOL)
- More gloves! Check out these gloves from Jack Spade and see them go from zero to hero! Made out of fancy merino wool, these gloves would be perfect for that guy who works outside or stays outside a lot. Don’t they remind you of the gloves from the Christmas movie with Sinbad and Arnold Schwarznegger?
- Do you know someone who’s just sneaky? Well, they don’t have to be totally spy material, but check out this sneaky little gizmo, here. This little speaker, disguised as an acorn also has a built-in FM radio. They’ll set this thing on their desk and have their co-workers wondering where the wonderful sounds are blazing from.
- Does anyone remember Do The Right Thing? Remember Radio Raheem?
OMG! I couldn’t resist when I saw this “Glove-Hate” oven mit. Great for that chef in your life! Do you have a chef in your life that LOVES the ’80’s? Well, here is the best gift money can buy! The will want to show off their new kitchen accessory so watch out as the chefs hand battles to make a knockout dish for you and whoever else cares to watch the story of how love and hate battle it out to make an impression in the kitchen: “It is with this hand that I mix the batter and it is with this hand I pour the batter.” LOL
And if you feel the need to prepare yourself for the story of love and hate (or just want a solid throwback reminder to tickle your fancy), check the YouTube video here.
Speaking of a chef in the kitchen and throwing up your dukes, maybe the kitchen is not a safe place to be, especially if you should decide to gift this little sign of caution for entering the kitchen. No, really this is an awesome work of art and the designers have cleverly designed this bad boy for safety (even though it may not look that way). With five of the only knives you should need in the kitchen, that will never dull this is the perfect gift for a chef who really wants to throw down (and not throw knives). Priced from $130 to $160 this knife holder from the A Plus Store usually ships within 48 hours. Just for you last-minute shoppers!
- For that outdoorsman, check out how far we’ve come with these new sleeping bags. I LOVE IT! Can’t I just buy one to walk around with all the time? Kinda like those abominable snowmen suits that we wore as kids…even though it’s purple, can’t you see why I say this is great for a guy?!
They even included “built-in padded slippers” for this middle-of-the-night break. I’m pretty sure, this is probably where the idea started, just thinking of the trouble to get out of the sleeping bag after you’ve been nice and cozy at rest. Well either that or the ability to connect as many sleeping bags as you’d like and have plenty of room to move around in or eeeerrrhhh *blink blink* my mind is roaming. Well, let’s just say the name of the sleeping bag is “Sexy Hotness Sleeping Bag” and we’ll leave the rest to your imagination and whatever you plan to do in the woods with whomever you choose to give this gift.
- Ok, minds are clear again. Back to the cool finds! Know any beer lovers or bartenders? Tell them to stop using their teeth by getting them this convenient little inexpensive gift. It’s a bottle opener ring! How convenient! At 8 bucks for 2, you might as well get a few to just pass out at your favorite bar! Simple as 1..2…3!
- For the #1 dude in your life, this organic beard oil will make sure the two of you stay close this holiday season. From MCMC Fragrances, straight out of Brooklyn…and brought to you with love, Dude #1 will be your man’s favorite new product in 2011.
I’m sorry to say there is no team featured in my house. There is no football fan present! BUT for those of you who do have NFL lovers….Redskin lovers (I’ll probably get some flack for this one)… I thought this was so clever! There are so many haters, I’m sure there will be some ill-comments made here on why I chose to feature the Redskins. Well only because I’m DC all-the-way! Born & Raised! hehe! The remote in one hand, this helmet or uhhh Redskin snack helmet in the other and the big screen in front! Oh he’s not going anywhere! Let him enjoy the holidays with this new buddy! It even comes with a cover if he has to leave for a moment to take a bathroom break.
Maybe you’re trying to find a gift for the guy who was just allowed to create his mancave. Well they’re not all bad. Some guys care if their buddies just throw their coats across the chair or on the floor even. For those that do care, this is a convenient and clever idea. Darts! These are actually Dart Wall Hooks! I told you it was clever! You must however warn them that these are no ordinary darts. Make sure they inform their buddies that regular darts will not work if they’re looking to add more; they will not hold up as sturdy as these which are meant to hold the heaviest of coats.
As we bring this list to a close, I figured I couldn’t leave this post without featuring some type of men’s grooming product, since this is my niche. For those who want to hint-hint to that guy that he needs to take a little extra time in the morning and get a closer shave, check out the NEW 3-D (Yes, we’re no longer in the HD promoting stages, but now 3-D) Philips SensoTouch 3D Ultimate Shaver! Intended to be used either wet or dry, this new technology boasts the ability to follow all of the contours of your face closely and precisely lift and cut each hair down to the ultimate smooth shave! It features a touch screen numeric display for setting your desired optimal shaving experience.
- Maybe you have a holiday grench in your life that you still want to get a gift but just don’t know what. Well I leave you with this! (picture not included – you must click the link)
Party at Bluemercury Celebrate the holid December 9, 2010
Party at Bluemercury
Celebrate the holidays now at one of Bluemercury’s Holiday Shopping Parties- 12/9 from 4-10pm at 1619 Connecticut Ave. NW and 12/10 from 2-8pm at 1145 Connecticut Ave. NW. Receive free samples and exclusive offers on purchases while you enjoy champagne and sweet holiday treats! Beauty and skincare experts will be available to help you select the perfect gifts for everyone on your list.
Simply Vera Vera Wang Cosmetics to launch at Khol’s December 8, 2010
Vera Wang, known extensively for her wedding gowns and expanding to luggage and even eyewear is now delving into the cosmetic industry. This being the first initiative into cosmetics, Vera Wang and Kohl’s first embarked on an agreement together in 2006, which extends to apparel, intimates and sleepwear, handbags, leather accessories, jewelry, footwear, bedding and bath.
With the continued success of the brand in the fashion world, combined with the rising profile of the brand in the fragrance segment, this would be a likely next step. To date Vera Wang’s presence in the cosmetics arena has been restricted to a range of fragrances, including a self-named line that is licensed by US fragrance giant Coty.
Wang announced plans to expand into the world of beauty by Spring 2012. The Simply Vera Vera Wang range of cosmetics will include make-up and color, skin care, bath and body products, together with beauty accessories.
The Simply Vera Vera Wang range has served to increase Kohl’s sales significantly in recent years.
In other Wang news, I am sad to report that she has closed her bridesmaids business (stopped taking orders on Monday), but it better news, she has moved the line to David’s Bridal! Dresses are expected to hit stores in June/July and will retail between $150 and $200.
…and what’s this about Bobbi Brown opening a gym?
Food for Beauty December 3, 2010
Today, marks a week from Thanksgiving. Assuming you’re ready to toss any leftovers you may have, you must read this first. Stacy Cox, a beauty expert out of Pampered People Spa, in Los Angeles gives her tips on not wasting those Thanksgiving leftovers:
1. Pumpkin –
- USE: a natural exfoliant; great use as a mask
- DIRECTIONS: Use leftover pumpkin filling or cooked and canned pumpkins, add a 1/2 tsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of milk/soy
- USE: wonderful hair conditioner for silky-soft hair
- DIRECTIONS: Use the juice from canned cranberry sauce or the pulp from whole cranberries. Mix a cup of cranberry juice or puree with one beaten egg yolk, two teaspoons of sour cream and one teaspoon of potato flour until it turns into a paste. Apply the paste on the hair, wait and rinse, and soon enough your shiny tresses will look good enough to eat.
3. Potatoes –
- USE: sweet potatoes reduce inflammation and skin irritation and is a great body treatment
- DIRECTIONS: Mix two cups of mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes with one cup of sea salt or brown sugar and one cup of aloe vera juice. The salt/sugar helps scrub everything away and, if you want, you can add scented oil for a little fragrance
4. Jello –
- USE: the cold mold is great for puffiness
- DIRECTIONS: cut a couple of pieces of Jell-O out of the mold and freeze them for 30 to 60 minutes, they become a cool, soothing, homemade mask for tired, puffy eyes. You could always mold your whole face, like this:
Although these treatments sound good enough to eat, Cox does not recommend eating these concoctions, but suggests you can still eat your turkey and the tryptophan will help you relax as you enjoy your in-home personal spa treatment.
While we’re on the topic, today Dr. Oz spoke on the 5 superfoods for superbeauty! These were not your typical foods that you hear being suggested for healthy skin and beauty, so I felt the need to share:
Pink Grapefruit: Protects Skin from Sun Damage
Pink Grapefruit protects your skin from sun damage because of the lycopene that makes the grapefruit a pink color. The lycopene is not just a pigment though, it is also a powerful antioxidant that shields us from ultra violet damage so that you do not get free radicals that take apart your skin’s DNA.
Dr Audrey Kunin told Dr oz that you should start with one half of a grapefruit every week, but the more the better.
Red Pepper: Superfood Prevents Wrinkles – Natural Botox
Red peppers are rich in vitamin C so they help to build up our collagen fibers. Dr Audrey Kunin said that red peppers have twice as much vitamin C as an orange, and only 1/3 of the calories. So in a 1/2 cup of red pepper, there are only 20 calories. Dr Oz said that you can think of collagen like rubber bands in your body. Ideally, you want three pieces of collagen to bind together to be strong, otherwise the collagen can break and you can get wrinkles. Vitamin C helps the collagen stay together.
Dr Kunin suggested eating 1/4 cup of red pepper each day.
Trout: Dry Skin Superfood
Trout has natural omega 3’s in it that help to hydrate your skin from within.
Eat trout 1-2 times a week as an alternative to salmon. (I believe Salmon is also a great source for omega 3’s so alternating is a great idea).
Collard Greens: Acne Superfood
Collard Greens helps to prevent acne because they are rich in vitamin A which acts like a topical prescription to help exfoliate your skin naturally.
Eat a 1/2 cup of cooked collard greens each week and you will be good to go!
Capers: Prevents Redness & Inflammation
Dr Kunin said that capers contain a Phytonutrient called Quercetin which is a natural antihistamine (so it de-puffs your skin) and it is an anti-inflammatory, so if your skin is red and inflamed, a small amount of capers can help.
You only need 1 TB of capers sprinkled into a main course, so use it as a garnish twice a week.
Now I’m sure you’re ready to head to your kitchen and start cooking liken it’s Thanksgiving all over again! Keep it healthy!